Our search has the following Google-type functionality:
+ (addition symbol)
If you use '+' at the start of a word, that word will be present in the search results.
eg. Harry +Potter
Search results will contain 'Potter'.
- (minus symbol)
If you use '-' at the start of a word, that word will be absent in the search results.
eg. Harry -Potter
Search results will not contain 'Potter'.
If you use 'AND' between 2 words, then both those words will be present in the search results.
eg. Harry AND Potter
Search results will contain both 'Harry' and 'Potter'.
If you use 'OR' between 2 words, then either or both of those words will be present in the search results.
eg. 'Harry OR Potter'
Search results will contain just 'Harry', or just 'Potter', or both 'Harry' and 'Potter'.
If you use 'NOT' before a word, that word will be absent in the search results. (This is the same as using the minus symbol).
eg. 'Harry NOT Potter'
Search results will not contain 'Potter'.
" " (double quotation marks)
If you use double quotation marks around words, those words will be present in that order.
eg. "Harry Potter"
Search results will contain 'Harry Potter', but not 'Potter Harry'.
If you use '*' in a word, it performs a wildcard search, as it signifies any number of characters. (Searches cannot start with a wildcard).
Search results will contain words starting with 'Pot' and ending in 'er', such as 'Potter'.
02 9267 1397
Visit Abbey's Language Book Centre
Our store upstairs at Abbey's Bookshop in York Street, Sydney, has over 40,000 books and resources on display for you to browse...
[Show me more]
Welcome to Australia's #1 book store for language learning and teaching resources.
We hold the largest range of learning aids for over 100 languages, including ESL. Plus we have a huge range of movies, novels & children's books in non-English languages. Come along to 131 York Street and be amazed!
You'll find us on the first floor of Abbey's Bookshop at 131 York Street, opposite Sydney's historic Queen Victoria Building and just 50 metres from Town Hall railway station, through which every suburban train passes. Language Book Centre is also next to bus stops servicing North Shore and Northern Beaches, Inner West and North-west destinations and just a short walk to Eastern and Southern services. See you soon!
| || Melanie Macri |
One of the more pleasant sounds we hear at Abbey's is Melanie's laugh.
Beginning her bookselling career in 1997 in Germany, Melanie found her way to Sydney with her Australian husband-to-be. She's been with Abbey's since 2010, bringing her sunny energy to our store.
Language Book Centre is a specialist for:
- Anyone wishing to study or read a foreign language.
- Teachers at Primary & Secondary Schools, Universities, TAFE Colleges, Community Schools, English Colleges.
- Learners of English.
- Travellers & those doing business overseas or in another language.
- Translators & Interpreters.
- Parents wanting children to learn another language.
Our extensive range includes:
- Bilingual, Monolingual & Specialist Dictionaries in more than 100 languages.
- Textbooks, CDs, practice books, cultural resources & teaching materials for primary, secondary & tertiary courses.
- Textbooks, CDs, grammars & reference materials for self-tuition.
- ESL texts, skills practice materials, CDs & graded readers.
- English in the workplace, in business, for academic & special purposes.
- Large computer software section for foreign languages and ESL (software, word processors, translators, etc).
- Resources, reference books & other materials for teachers at all levels.
- Multicultural books and resources for all age groups and teachers.
- Bilingual stories & folktales in Asian, European and other community languages.
- Specialist dictionaries & reference books for translators and interpreters.
- Phrasebooks and short courses for travellers.
- Books on literacy and bilingualism.
- Fiction in major European & some Asian languages.
- Books for children of all ethnic backgrounds in English and 45 other languages.
Over 100 languages including:
- Greek (modern)
- and many more...
As we are truly independent, our multilingual staff are here to offer helpful, unbiased advice.